Rules for Rulers

A commentary on the Constitution, the 2nd Ammendment and life in general.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Sushi is Bad for Turtles? Not my Toro

The recent study proclaiming harmful levels of mercury in sushi is financed by a conservancy for sea turtles. What? What do sea turtles have to do with sushi, specfically tuna? Roger Simon, one of my favorite bloggers, has a few posts on this. As usual, there is some good information from Roger. He posted a link that points out their agenda.

Apparently, long liners are the culprit here. They are snagging both sea turtles and tuna. I'm not a fan of long line fishing. As soon as they were pushed out from the California coast, "rare" species such as Halibut and Yellowtail started flourishing. The by-catch is horrific. I am a recreational fisherman in the ocean off of San Diego and Mexico. I know how destructive this type of fishing. Most of the long liners in the Pacific are asian.

I'm also a scientist though. Until there is data from an organization that doesn't have such a huge agenda, I'm skeptical. Otoro sushi statsu Kudasai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Degree